The MSU College of Communications Arts, GameDev.msu.edu, and Spartasoft will be hosting a 48-hour game development jam to kick off the Fortnight Game Competition. The game jam will begin at 5pm on Friday, March 17 in room 154 Comm Arts. Across the weekend, there will be access to use room 154 and 2nd Floor Comm Arts Labs (most notably 240 and 246) during regular business hours (8am-10pm). The goal will be to build the first playable prototype of a game that can be further polished across the “fortnight” (until March 30) and submitted to the Fortnight Game Competition.
$5,000 in cash prizes will be awarded to registered teams who are judged by a panel of professional game developers and game lovers as the winners of the competition. Individuals 18-years and older are welcome to attend the game jam. Participants are encouraged to bring their own equipment, however, there are lab computers available if needed.
Contest Dates: March 16 – March 30, 2017
Registration: Now open
Fee: $100 – entry includes 2 all-access passes to the Capital City Film Festival (value: $50 each!)
Cash Prizes: $5,000 total
Rules & Other Stuff
• Game development for the contest will begin on March 16th and final entries are due either digitally or in person at the Lansing Public Media Center by 11:59am on March 30th, 2017.
• Contest is open to all Michigan game developers. The entire team does NOT have to be made up of Michigan peeps; one Michigan-based member will suffice.
• There will be required elements announced on March 16th by email to registered participants. Games must include those elements and abide by any new requirements announced at that time, or they will be disqualified.
• Entries must be submitted as digital files that are playable on one of the following platforms: Mac OS X, Windows, Web, iOS, or Android.
• Any game that is not submitted by the deadline will be disqualified from the competition. NO EXCEPTIONS.
Judging & Prizes
• Entries will be judged by a panel of professional game developers and game lovers.
• The top entries may be available for audiences at the Capital City Film Festival to play.
• The top 5 entries will be required to submit a trailer describing their game to be presented at the Fortnight Contest Awards event during the Capital City Film Festival. At least one member of the team must be present at this event.
• Prizes will total $5,000 in cash.
Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 517.483.4058