Ph.D. in Information and Media
We invite you to join an exciting interdisciplinary field of study at the intersection of the social sciences, media and socio technical systems. We develop and apply transformative knowledge about all media systems, society and evolving information and communication technologies. The program engages students to become leaders in academia, government, and industry in the media and information fields.
Our approach is multidisciplinary, combining faculty members with degrees in communication, advertising, public relations, journalism, economics, information studies, sociology, law, marketing and computer science, all pursuing teaching and research opportunities in three participating departments.
Want to Learn More?
Research Areas and Faculty
Faculty in the three participating departments have complementary skills and research interests. Students typically participate in one or more research groups and design a dissertation to take advantage of the interdisciplinary environment offered by the program. Research in our department currently focuses on the following areas:
Advertising and Public Relations
- Media psychology and persuasion
- Neuroscience and social influence
- International advertising and public relations
- News media effects
- News production, distribution and impact
- Freedom of speech and press
Media and Information
- Social media and social computing
- Human-computer interaction, games and meaningful play
- Management info system (policy and economics)
- Health (media, ICT and development)